Thread: 29-3 SA problem
View Single Post

Old 02-19-2020, 07:03 PM

Liked 4,107 Times in 1,215 Posts
Default 29-3 SA problem

I just recently got this 29-3 and thought I checked it out thoroughly. Evidently, not thorough enough. Although I did do a DA pull, I didn't bother checking the SA pull at the time.
Well , fast forward bringing it home and as I was then thoroughly checking the action, did some SA pulls and it was hit or miss maybe half the time.
So, to describe the condition more clearly, it has an excellent and well timed double action. The DA is good and consistent. With no gritty feel nor any discernible hitting whatsoever.
But you pull the hammer back to go into Single action, it'll either hit, or it feels like the hammer block is obstructing the nose to fully come forward. And the hammer nose doesn't fully come out either. Only in DA mode.

What I've done so far:
(1) cleaned and lubed
(2) replaced both the mainspring and rebound slide springs
(3) removed the trigger stop pin. Then put it back.
(4) removed the hammer block . Then put it back.
(5) checked the SA sear. And spring. Looked good with no crud or sticking.

What I havent done is:
(1)Replace hammer and trigger.
(2) replace cylinder stop spring.

Am I missing something? I have a 29-2 that I can probably try the hammer and trigger (swap out parts).

Has anyone run into this problem?

I'm actually a double action shooter, but it kinda bugs me that it doesn't work well in SA. Or that the problem might creep up to the DA side. Then , I'll be really screwed.
Well, if anyone has run into this problem, and knows the answer, before I take my 29-2 apart. Please chime in!

Thank you in advance!
Lou.