View Single Post

Old 02-27-2020, 01:18 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 5,643 Times in 1,502 Posts

Unless you reload, you are going to be at a distinct disadvantage using factory ammo, especially for IDPA.

Major Power Factor in IDPA ESR sub-division (the division in which you would shoot) is 155 (PF = Bullet weight x velocity / 1000). In USPSA for Revolver Major it is 170. Most factory ball ammunition runs over 200 - which means that you have to deal with a lot of recoil.

The short, round nose configuration of .45 Ball ammo is great for quick reloads, but the trade-off is the recoil. You can find factory rounds that have lower PF's, but they usually have a bullet profile that is not conducive to rapid reloads.

Also, consider that if you are thinking of USPSA, the eight-round, minor caliber guns own that game.

I shot my 625-8 PC in IDPA using 230 gr RN reloads that developed about 165 - 170 PF. I no longer reload and the fellow that was doing my loading, sold the press he used for .45 ACP as he no longer shoots that caliber. When I run out of his reloads, I am going to try Federal 220 gr Syn Tech rounds. They generate a PF of appx 170 - but they have a bullet profile that is not as ideal as a true RN - being a small flat-nose with a rounded ogive.

One thing to also consider is that, since your gun has had action work, it may require the use of Federal primers for reliable ignition - which kind of further restricts your choice of factory ammo. Nothing more frustrating than for the buzzer to go off and the gun goes "bang, bang, click..."

I know that you got some moon clips with your "package deal", but if you are going to buy more, no need to go for the expensive clips (absolutely needed for some calibers - but not .45 ACP), contact Ranch Products and you can buy 100 clips (a lifetime supply) for probably around $45 (I'm guessing as the last time I bought them, they were $35/100, but that was a number of years ago) - as opposed to $7 per clip for my .38 Super 627-4 PC.

My 625-8 PC (saw yours - very nice)

*Conversion to DAO with Apex spurless hammer
*Bowen Rough Country rear sight
*Extended FP and lightweight spring
*Dawson .100" FO front sight
*Charge holes chamfered (for real - not like the factory)
*Stop-notch lead-ins recut
*RP main spring and rebound spring
*Hogue Tamer grips

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Last edited by Pizza Bob; 02-27-2020 at 01:34 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: