Thread: Roper stocks
View Single Post

Old 03-01-2020, 02:07 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 5,412 Times in 1,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixgunStrumpet View Post
One thing worth mentioning is that there are Ropers, and then there are Gagne made Ropers. Typically when anyone talks about Ropers it's the latter they are thinking about. If Keith has a chance he can much more authoritatively fill you in on Ropers then I can, but I do think I can add some value regarding valuation, as I've been watching prices for years. My observations are as follows:

- Condition: as one would expect for any fine rare collectible, the curve is steep when original Gagne made Ropers approach perfect. I wouldn't be surprised to see the *right* set break 2 thousand in the near future.

- Wear: Due to the rarity, less a factor in reducing price then I would have thought. For some a little wear is desirable to match a gun they intend to place it on. Honest wear may reduce a very lightly worn set 20%.

- Abuse: Many ropers have deliberate modifications, often brutal and ineffective, requiring repairs. This can tank the value, but still only to maybe 1/3rd of the price if it had been unmolested. The wood wizards around can bring many such sets back to life.

- The ribbon being present of course adds to the attractiveness, and certainly the price, a non-ribbon set may sell for half of a ribbon set that is otherwise the same.

- S&W Ropers are less common, and more fought over, and always seem to sell for more then their colt counterparts. Not quite double, but certainly knocking on the door.

- Despite the increased rarity, K frame seem to sell for the same or less then N frame.

- Thumb rests (unless coupled with finger grooves), are about third to a half less valuable then non-thumbrests

- Odd features, and ropers for odd guns, can reduce the value as it seems much of the market is populated with people looking to buy a set for their gun, often for some classy shooting, and not to collect the stocks themselves.

- As legend has it, some of the premium Ropers that are rumored to exist are perched atop dragon like stock hoards, as prized crown jewels (ivory for example). Such stocks don't hit the open market and if you have the opportunity to buy them the price will just be the price, and worth it.
I think sixgunstrumpet is spot on with everything I read.

I would add value wise depending on the type of wood used. Roper grips can be all over the board from very plain to harder to find ornate.

Also personally I prefer the larger checked Ropers that are a bit harder to find.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: