View Single Post

Old 03-14-2020, 05:57 PM

Liked 4,309 Times in 2,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorer951 View Post
Do you have to break them down, or could you just weigh each of them, and compare their weight to the weight of a correctly loaded one?

I realize the weight and scale would have to be precise, but don't most of the scales, like the RCBS, weigh in tenths of a grain?

(sorry, but I'm clueless about reloading, at least at the scale of 1000 rounds at a time)
This is NOT a good idea because there is a lot of variation in case weights between brands and within cases with identical head stamps.

Good news is that having used the RCBS collet puller I can say it's a quick and easy process provided you are pulling jacketed bullets. If you are pulling lead bullets plan on throwing out the bullets because lead is much slippier than brass or copper so you'll have to really squeeze the bullets to get them to pull. You may even find that your only option is an inertial puller which is a HUGE PITA.

BTW, I learned a similar lesson using that exact same Lee "Safety" Scale. to put my opinion a bit gently it's a cheap piece of junk. I can also recommend avoiding the Lee "Perfect" powder measures because they are also cheap junk.

Suggestion One, get yourself an RCBS Competition Powder Measure and a Notebook. Because with that measure you can keep a record of the volume setting for each load recipe and use that setting for every time you load that particular combination. BTW, if you do this make sure to record the lot number for the powder and any time you change to a new lot of powder do a bit of weight checking and record the new value in your notebook.

Suggestion Two, get yourself an Ohaus scale. You will find RCBS and Lyman both sell scales made by Ohaus under their brand and they are very good beam scales.

Suggestion Three, DO NOT keep your scale(s) on the same bench as your reloading press. Scales are sensitive instruments and constant vibrations can knock even the best scales out of whack.

Last edited by scooter123; 03-14-2020 at 05:59 PM.