View Single Post

Old 03-22-2020, 11:29 AM

Liked 13,539 Times in 5,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContinentalOp View Post
What I've found is pulling through the DA pull as smoothly, and as quickly, as possible gives me better accuracy than trying to pull slowly. It's actually harder to hold the sights steady when pulling DA triggers slowly. But if I pull the trigger while maintaining a good balance of speed and smoothness, with no hesitation, and pull straight through, I get better results.

It also helps if I let my trigger finger slide across the trigger face a bit as I pull the trigger while maintaining front-to-back pressure on the grip with my shooting hand (not milking the grip). If I'm shooting two-handed, I use my support hand to grip with side-to-side pressure.

Even when shooting from the retention position, when I can't see the sights, I still try to maintain both trigger speed and smoothness. Though with any close-range, quick-fire self defense practice I'm not as focused on the mechanics as I am on getting rounds on target. Which is why I always include focus on those mechanics when I practice at the range or do dry fire practice at home, to help build "muscle memory" so I don't have to think about it.
I totally agree with the bolded above. My guns are modded by me to get a good decent dependable trigger. I started doing my guns in the 70s long before the cheater spring kits came out. I was instructed in how to do good safe work by a LEO friend that was the RO and approved S&W armorer of a 100 man town force.

Its all in the timing both your trigger pull and your time between shots. My serious shooting is long over, but in my heyday of shooting (master class) I had a few people tell me "watching you shoot is like watching a machine, so consistent''