View Single Post

Old 03-22-2020, 09:08 PM

Liked 1,090 Times in 429 Posts

Any inexpensive ammo you can procure will be fine. Trying to stick to the same projectile weight is a good idea but at self defense distances it is not critical. Firing couple hundred as a " break in ", isn't a terrible idea as it will probable wring out any potential issues with your firearm as well as get you used to it and it's dynamics.
124 Plus P Gold Dots are excellent rounds. heck, NYPD as well as the US Secret Service use them and I reckon they have stood the test of time so to speak. Try and run several magazines of your protective rounds through the weapon to make sure you or the weapon have no issues either.
When I worked we shot 4 times per calendar year and then ultimately twice. It was mandatory to clean your weapon prior to leaving the " Target Room ", to return home or back to work. Sadly that is the twice a year cleaning for some. I and many other fellas and gals did the aforementioned every month or some 4 or 5 times per year. It is up to you. Weapons carried tend to be dust accumulators and the odd items that could potentially " gum up ", the action of your weapon. The age old question is always " what is your life worth? ", and this is appropriate to me. Do I clean my weapon frequently? Yes. Do I fire 200 rounds of carry ammo? No. When I worked and a new state contract ammo was procured by the agency we were issued said ammo and fired it. If it worked it worked. If not,..... well, that is what you were issued and you were mandated to carry it. If a weapon issue reared it's ugly head it was addressed by the agencies armorers or sent back to the factory. You drew a replacement from the Property Dept until yours was returned ardor repaired. Fire some and make sure it functions. Clean it frequently as yours or someone else life depends on it. Good luck.
The Following User Likes This Post: