View Single Post

Old 03-25-2020, 04:26 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,230 Times in 1,044 Posts

Ahoy there Shipmates,

Still fiddling with the frame today...

This thingamabob here is a hammer handpiece. It's made in Switzerland by Badeco. It's essentially a little tiny jackhammer.

You cannot run a hammer handpiece on a normal flexshaft motor because of the speed limitation. Anything over 5k rpm will wreck the tool. The common Foredom SR motor runs up to 18k rpm and low torque. What we want is high torque and low speed so...

We plug this too into a LX motor. High torque & top speed of 5k. Using a speed control, I run the hammer at 1/3 to 1/2 of the motor speed.

On the business end is a HSS (high speed steel) tool bit I ground to a blunted 100+° angle...

It's kinda tedious work, noisy as well. Little tiny jackhammer you hold like a pencil. It wants to bounce all over the place so you have to keep very strict control over the tool to keep it from beating up an area you hadn't intended. Imagine holding a pencil in the same manner you'd write something but you're gripping it with near your maximum hand strength. Then drawing little tiny overlapping circlesoooooooooooooooooo. Hand and forearm starts to cramp up after about 10 minute of that so we take a break and go do something else for an hour or so. Anyhow, it's coming along nicely, no boo boos thus far (knock knock knock)

I'll apply this treatment clear on up the underside of the trigger guard and on up to the bottom of the dust cover. Basically anywhere my hand or hands interface with the weapon there will be some texture to enhance the grip.

Cheers
Bill