Thread: Bauer .25 Auto
View Single Post

Old 03-28-2020, 01:52 AM

Liked 18,481 Times in 7,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
Back in 73 0r so. I had two Colt .25s. I'm almost certain they weren't from long ago, but I don't know. There wasn't collector interest in them in the place where I lived. They were in great shape, didn't look old. I sold both of them to the same guy for not much money.

A few years after I sold them, Colt stopped selling them over here. And not so long after that, I saw at my LGS .25s that were so far as I could tell, identical but labeled from some foreign maker, maybe Spanish or Italian? and they were cheap. Not like a Rohm, maybe a little more than a Titan. I can't remember exactly where they came from but they looked exactly like Colts. From a distance, anyway. Same walnut grips, even had the drilled holes for where the medallions would have been, but the holes were empty. They were around for a couple of years.

But it made me wonder if whoever supposed to manufacture the Colt .25s (assuming FN?) I had were farmed out by another manufacturer and marked distributed through FN as Colts. Or if someone bought up FN/Colt overruns after they quit exporting them here. They were pretty cheap and anonymous w/out the medallions. Wish I'd read the lettering on the slide more carefully. There might be a story there.
What you are describing is the Colt Junior. They were made in Spain by Astra. Astra also marked and sold them under their own label as the Astra Cub.
They are a little bit bigger than the Colt Vest Pocket and the Baby Browning. Almost the size of a Beretta Bobcat.

Last edited by BC38; 03-28-2020 at 01:53 AM.