View Single Post

Old 03-30-2020, 09:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation My SD40 shoots drastically low, out of the box.

I've owned a Glock 22 (.40) and an SD9VE. I was so happy with the SD9 that I sold my Glock, last year. I have wanted another .40 to carry because of black bear that frequent my OK mountain property, and I usually camp alone there. I then sold my SD9 and picked up an SD40, and headed to the deer lease with my bro-in-law, and nephew. We all setup to shoot, and they brought toys as well. I stuck some small, 6" ground targets in in front of a round bale, and proceeded to plow the ground from 7 yds (never hitting). After a couple of clips and no hits, bro-in-law stuck larger round target on some plywood, making it chest high, in front of the bale. The SD40 was shooting almost 2" low at 10 yards, I'm puzzled. I figured it was me.. so I asked him and my nephew to shoot it... They had the same result. I took the gun back to Academy and had them send it back to S&W to resolve.
While it was out I bought my GF a Ruger Security 9, as she is traveling a lot lately during this corona mess. I took her to practice and she obviously needs some range time but she's consistent so far. I shot one mag before she started and one when she was done. Both times I went through the mags pretty quick and still kept all the shots in the pie plate sized ring at 10 yards, with multiple in the bulls-eye. I'm feeling better about me now.
Academy calls me early last week, they have my SD40. All the paperwork really said was "Raised site - Pass" I filled a mag and stepped out back to a short range for a quick test. I setup a 2 foot target at the foot of a hay bale. stepped off 7 steps, turned around and squeezed off two careful shots at the bulls-eye, and blew dirt all over the target. I aimed at the top of the target and hit just below the bottom of the target (still in the dirt). At-Least I know where I'm hitting with this gun but I'm afraid to continue to shoot this thing, it seems dangerous to be that far off.

Was this just a rush repair job, because of this virus scare?

I think there is something off with the barrel or the slide.

Any ideas?

I would consider buying another barrel if I thought that would fix it. With the way things have degraded lately, I don't want to send it back again. I'd rather have have something that shoots bad than nothing at all to shoot, while I wait.