View Single Post

Old 04-05-2020, 10:08 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 6,883 Times in 2,796 Posts

ocguns, If you want to sell the gun, whether privately or in an online auction, I would suggest you get a factory historical letter from the Smith& Wesson Historical Foundation ( there's a link on the Forum to the letter application form ) as the letter will add to the gun's provenance as to whether it is a military issued gun or a civilian model. I see no indication on the stocks of ever having a cartouche ( military acceptance stamp ) Granted, over time these cartouches can were off, but usually you can see a remnant. A small number of 2nd model Schofields are listed in the shipping records, by serial number, as civilian sales. Should your gun letter as a civilian model it's many times rarer than a military model and more valuable. Civilian models were stamped with the US on the butt, so the US stamp, which was applied on all frames early in production before some guns were diverted to civilian production, does not guarantee the gun as military. Likewise for various inspectors stamps on the parts, as civilian shipped guns were made from military parts to start, but did not receive the final inspector's stamp - the grip cartouches. The current auction market on these guns is weaker than it has been, as are all antique firearms, but recent sales are in the hammer price of $3000 -$3500 range for specimens in the condition of yours (Add about 20% for out the door cost ) If the gun letters as a civilian, add 25%. Also, if you list it with an auction, be very specific in the written listing contract as to how you want the gun priced and described. Insist on a reserve minimum of at least $3,000, and a description written by a Schofield expert. If it were my gun, I would not agree to more than a 15% seller's commission. Ed.

Last edited by opoefc; 04-05-2020 at 10:17 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: