View Single Post

Old 04-08-2020, 05:29 PM

Liked 1,381 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry Callahan View Post
While some factory loaded ammo typically runs shy of SAAMI Specifications, 10mm Auto is much more significant. Full-power 10mm will push a 200gr bullet at 1200fps or a 180gr bullet at 1300fps, but most factory loaded ammo is loaded to FBI Specifications, which launches a 180gr bullet at about 1000fps.
It is easy to measure velocity these days but pressure data is very elusive. I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff that you can get from Buffalo Bore and Underwood is really 10mm +P. The pressure difference between 40 and 10mm is only 7%, 35,000 vs 37500. The case is larger so slower powder can be used but that helps more with longer barrels than the more common 4 to 5 inch barrels. Expecting 70% more power from 7% more pressure isn't realistic.

I freely admit I have never seen any pressure data from a reliable source but my gut feel is that Sig 10mm ammo is about as hot as you can get with SAAMI pressure levels. A bit more energy than a 357 with a heavier bullet out a semiauto pistol is pretty impressive even if it does not meet the original claims made by Norma. Notice I said claims. If you search for tests of the original Norma ammo on YouTube you should be able to find a couple of videos. The "full-power" Norma ammo typically comes in 150 to 200 fps slower than the numbers printed on the box. It was a lot easier to get away with inflated velocity numbers before there were lots of channels on YouTube testing ammo.

ETA:
Test of Norma 170 grain - Actual velocity 1219 fps

Test of Norma 200 grain, also about 200 fps short of advertised velocity (Skip to about the 20 minute mark):

I don't think it is a coincidence that velocity numbers suddenly decreased when affordable chronographs became available. Happened not just with 10mm but also with 44 and 357 magnums as well as some rifle cartridges.

Last edited by Dave Lively; 04-08-2020 at 05:57 PM.