Thread: 48-2 Mystery
View Single Post

Old 04-11-2020, 04:46 PM

Liked 9,471 Times in 4,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken158 View Post
As noted, slow sellers and why they were discontinued. People that bought them seem to think otherwise and offer to sell for crazy high prices and get no takers... You can't compare a 48 with a 19 or even a 17 price. I am watching to pick one up, but it will be at a fair price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.357 View Post
You can pick up nice 17's between 500 and 600 around here. A 48 in the same shape goes 600-700.
There are not near as many 48's.
This discussion is extremely timely for me. I have to make a choice soon between a couple of pre-IL K-frames I've found... a very early Model 17 and a Model 48-4. Conditions and asking prices are about the same. I've already got a Model 17-2 in decent condition so the notion of adding something different to the collection is kind of appealing. On the other hand, the Model 17 that's available is older and a bit nicer than mine and that appeals to me too.

Reading here that the Model 48 was a bit of a flop marketing-wise has given me pause. I do see a lot of 48's on sale on GB and not many moving. Am I better off buying the slightly older, slightly nicer Model 17? Or does the Model 48-4 make more sense at the same price as the 17?