View Single Post

Old 04-12-2020, 05:49 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,230 Times in 1,044 Posts

Good Afternoon Gents,

I hope everyone is well on this fine Easter Sunday, and indeed 'tis my hope ya'll stay that way

Spent this afternoon playing with the mini jackhammer. I have nearly all the coverage done except for out on the dust cover where it's not quite done. Anyway I've had about enough of messing with that noisy gizmo for today so I'm putting my toys away and gonna go do soething utterly unproductive for the rest of the day

So, here's where we're at...

Just about done with the coverage on the frame, A wee bit more to do out here on the dust cover...

Once I get it all covered I'll examine the surface under magnification checking for any areas that need to be hit again. I want the surface texture to be as uniform as possible.

Then there are a few spots that need a little more contouring like this here at the trigger guard root...

And, I think I'm going to blunt this "chin" a little more...

There is also ahead going to be a little woodworking happening.

These are the stocks I'm going to use...

Those have several minor issues with fitment that will require a little bit of modification for this project.

Note the raise boss on each scale that keys into the window on the sides of the mag well...

On our project 5906 the windows are about 3/8" longer that the boss on the scales at the bottom end. I do not want the fixing screws to be the sole means of keeping the grips in position plus that is not how the grips were designed. I already have a proven method of addressing this developed in fitting Nills 4506 stocks to a 1006 which had the exact same issue and I will share that when we get there...

Were we to not take care of that gap, the scales are free to slip downward about 1/8" without the screws in place...

But first I'll need to transfer the holes on the scales to the frame then fixture the frame on the mill table for drilling & tapping. Then there are a few more things to tend to.

Back here the steel is slightly proud of the wood so a touch more metal work is needed here...

Then, along the front of the mag well, the wood is proud of the steel a bit. So a little trim is in order here too...

And lastly on the starboard side scale... Since were installing a spring loaded decocker body on this gun we must have an ambi lever on the decocker body to keep it aligned laterally in the slide and not potentially interfere with the firing pin. So, we'll need to fixture the starboard scale in some fashion and mill this area to match the port side scale to permit free movement of the ambi lever...

That's all for now. Got some work coming in so my personal fun projects get put on the 'back burner' for a spell.

A couple other things I'm contemplating;

I recall seeing some custom job where the shoulders on the slide were stippled too. I don't remember exactly, might have been a Novak or a Nighthawk but anyway I'm thinking of doing that too.

And once all the metal work is done on the frame & slide I'm considering sending those up to H&M for a dunk in the molten salt bath

Stay well

Cheers
Bill