View Single Post

Old 04-14-2020, 04:13 PM

Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
The MA most likely stands for Mach Arms. And as far as the explanations of the other Australian stamps go, Pate's explanation on pg. 111 seems rather fanciful, and makes no sense to me. He doesn't source it either. Following Enfield's pattern, a simple inspector's code below the crown and a Lithgow L would be my guess.

If you look at the comparison below, there are also differences in the stamping pattern which I can't explain.

Victory data base-comparison-lithgow-ftr-marks-jpg

According to Pate's list, the first large contract for 5" barreled BSRs started in 10/1940, a bit late for your serial. Before that there was supposedly a contract for 65,000 5" M&Ps in .38 Special only. But Pate got the numbers from Skennerton, who's been shown to be wildly off on US revolver shipments before. It fits the general ballpark.
Thanks! I was getting “Munitions Australia” from Pate on page 110.

I am questioning the 65,000 5” 38 Specials on 5/28/1940 to Britain.

I know there were 38 Specials being shipped, and some were 5 inch (I have one), but I don’t think they were all 5 inches, or all, if any, shipped to Britain. Maybe the 65,000 is the total number of 38 specials shipped during the period in between the production of BSRs, those were the civilian ones and the ones for the USNCPC. 65,000 is just too large a number for there not to be a bunch of examples floating around (in my opinion).