View Single Post

Old 05-04-2020, 09:56 PM
US Veteran

Liked 21,872 Times in 6,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notch8 View Post
Hello all. First post here but frequent reader. Just wondering if there are any downsides to reaming a cylinder on an older, somewhat collectible S&W? I've been thinking about doing this to my 1952 K22, my 17-2, and my 617-1. All exhibit difficult extraction after a few cylinders full have been fired. Just last week I had trouble with my K22 after only the second cylinder of Norma Tac22. That is some greasy stuff! So, my question is would reaming the cylinder diminish the value of the gun? All three of these guns are near mint condition. Not planning on selling but still curious just the same. Also, what about rust? Obviously the reaming will remove the bluing from inside the cylinder therefore leaving it unprotected. I would of course keep a quality gun oil on the metal but was wondering if anyone has had this problem after reaming? Thanks for any replies. John.
Most of the folks here get the chamber reamers. I just bought a .22 rifle mop and I had a block of jewelers rouge. I chucked the mop with one section of cleaning rod into my cordless drill. Loaded the mop up with jewelers rouge and commenced to polishing the chambers. I did maybe 10 or so passes at each chamber. No problems with extraction after that. So, for $1.50, my 17-2 has no extraction problems to drive me bonkers. Worked for me......