View Single Post

Old 05-07-2020, 11:17 AM

Liked 856 Times in 340 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin T View Post
I’m glad to have caught this one too! The price was quite right. Equal to price paid maybe 15 years ago. Value on better examples have absolutely gone bonkers on these, and I feel a rising tide lifts all boats, right??

I know the finish on the gun is awful. The slide is mostly in the white, and the frame is going fast. I’ve thought about a park job, because these guns went through a refurb process and were parkerized at that point. Mine appears to have escaped refurb, however. Those black plastic grips are true matches for the rest of the gun, so I firmly believe this one is not refurbed.

I do want to change the mainspring housing and rear sight-both of those have been ordered. And the mag is junk-I’ve spoken with several owners who say their magazines tend to hang up or cause difficult extraction. They don’t drop free. I discovered my magazine has a raised spot on one side that doesn’t align with a straight edge, and one of the feed lips has a crack. But that’s okay. I’ll drop it in the “original parts” bag and go with GI mags.

Anyway, I plan on shooting this one a bunch before I decide on a refinish. I figure I have plenty of time to think about finishes.

Thanks for the note about the grips. I’ll pay attention to that.
all the original grips were checkered wood except last year of production which had the grooved wood Ballester Molina ones - some of the junkers that Sarco sold had U.S. GI plastic grips installed - the only ones that were parkerized were the navy issued ones marked Marina de Argentina - all other Argentine refurbs were done in a dull black - I purchased a dozen original magazines when they were selling them at six for $9.00 , they all still work perfectly in all my different 1911's -

Last edited by schutzen-jager; 05-07-2020 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following User Likes This Post: