View Single Post

Old 05-23-2020, 01:21 AM

Liked 10,652 Times in 3,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
Geez. Was "considering" acquiring a .45 M&P Shield until reading the inherent problems discussed here...no way! Will just stick with 9mm. Thanks for the education...for sure.
Most of the above posts were from three years ago. The issues reported have not occurred recently with the Shield 45. I had some initial failures to feed after I bought my Shield 45 in February, 2017. These were completely remedied with redesigned followers that S&W sent to owners in November of 2017. I've shot 4,200 rounds since with zero problems.

As to "striker drag", I wasn't even aware of it until there was an extensive discussion of it on the SIG Talk Forum. The conclusion after many posts was that it is a complete non-issue. As it turns out, both my Shield 45 (7,600 total rounds) and my M&P 40c (15,900 total rounds) have striker drag, yet they've been totally reliable and it has not affected their performance in any way. Check out the attached photo. Shells from my Shield 45 are on the left. Shells from my M&P 40c are on the right. (The ones in the middle are from my SIG P320.) The striker drag from both S&Ws is extensive, but with 23,500 problem-free rounds between them, I'm convinced that it's normal, and it doesn't mean a thing.

I also own a Shield 9 with 5,800 rounds though it. After renting a Shield 45, I was so impressed, I immediately bought one. My Shield 9 has mostly been on the shelf ever since, because my Shield 45 is so much more accurate. I suggest renting a Shield 45 and judging for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (113.3 KB, 50 views)