Thread: S&W 1046
View Single Post

Old 05-23-2020, 07:53 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,548 Times in 336 Posts

I always find the moral outrage that can spring up when it comes to the prices involving collectibles to be interesting. If it's something that a person just wants to have then practicality and the cost involved are not factors.

I once spent a $1,000 for a Mauser C/96 Broomhandle-Bolo pistol. It has seen use and the bore isn't pristine, but I have wanted one for literally decades. It was for sale and I had the money. It was breathtaking to spend that much, but I did. I have fired it exactly once and I don't care. I own a Mauser Broomhandle. Also money is a very relative thing.

I purchased a Smith & Wesson 4513TSW(pre-rail) a couple days ago for $500.00. A fair price for the pistol, three magazines and the carrying case. In 1997 .when the pistol was made, $500 was the equivlant of $5,000 because I don't earn what I earn now. My wife and I also had two small children in 1997. Now $500 isn't bad at all for the occassional used gun purchase. For some people $5,000 is the equivalent of $500. It has nothing to do with sense and everything to do with economics, need and want. Sometimes you spend the money on things you need (toilet paper, food and prescription medications)and sometimes it things that you want. For example I own three model 19s with three different barrel lengths because I like the idea of owning three Model 19s with three different barrel lengths. Practicality has nothing to do with it. It's my understanding that is what retail is all about.