View Single Post

Old 05-29-2020, 05:35 PM

Liked 7,407 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt_saa View Post
The only difference is the follower.

When the 4006 was in the early design/testing phase, the factory used 5906 magazine bodies with the new 40 caliber follower. Note that the witness holes go past 11 [center]
Good information.

I was looking into it ever since I got my 4006TSW CHP just awhile ago. The one I got only came with one magazine, and replacements are absurdly expensive. The lowest price I could find was $19.99 for used police trade-ins, but I didn't want to buy any from them because it just felt to me like they took a couple out of each box to sell separately. (Other sellers elsewhere sold them with 3 mags each, which is what they were issued within with.) So I started looking into aftermarket options, to which I found none, but I kept seeing folks saying that Mec-gar's 17-round 5906 Magazines would work in a 4006TSW.

Based on what I've read, 4006 Magazines only difference from 5906 Magazines is a little bump on the front of the 4006 Mags which prevent them from being inserted into the magwell of a 5906. Supposedly this was done because 4006 Mags could hold more than 10 rounds if loaded with 9mm Luger, (as squidsix spoke of earlier) so they had to make them non-interchangeable to uphold the stupid Assault Weapons Ban. However, 5906 Magazines will fit a 4006, they just don't seat securely due to the lack of the bump, ergo they can shift back and forth somewhat, and don't always lock in correctly. Supposedly this isn't an issue for 4006TSW models though because they have tighter magwells which will hold 5906 Mags securely enough to function.

Unfortunately, not all of the folks I've seen attest to Mec-gar 5906 Magazines working in 4006TSWs can confirm reliability, merely that they will fit, manually feed/cycle, and lock the slide back when inserted. I can't find any in-depth range reports of folks function testing Mec-gar 5906 Mags in a 4006TSW, so I'll just have to do that part myself. Fortunately, I was able to find a Mec-gar 5906 Magazine for a relatively cheap price, and even if it doesn't function perfectly, it's strictly for range use anyway, and I'm fairly confident that I could modify one to function reliably at the range.

Last edited by Echo40; 06-03-2020 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Edited to remove mention of specific online store.
The Following User Likes This Post: