View Single Post

Old 06-01-2020, 12:54 AM

Liked 23 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
I just watched a few vids of different types of walls and one with Paul Harrell doing mostly sheet rock.

My interior walls are all sheet rock. 9mm JHP has been my mainstay for defense of any kind. But I just found out that 9mm (and a LOT of other calibers) go through sheet rock almost like it's not there and have almost as much energy on the other side. Buckshot was extremely destructive on over penetration. Somebody said that 5.56 bullets go through the wall and are found sitting on the floor on the other side. THAT is obviously a real load of ****.

Anyway, I'm beginning to change my thinking. Birdshot/small game shot is said not to penetrate enough, but at a range of 5 yards max wouldn't it hit almost like a slug and be stopped by walls?

I think i'll take a couple pieces of sheet rock to the range and test out some shot loads. What's your opinion on this? I haven't exactly changed my mind yet. I love my Golden Sabers and HSTs. But if my thinking turns out to be flat wrong, I could change my strategy. At least have a shotgun backup IF I were to have time to make a choice.
You didn't mention whether you were living in an apartment complex or if you had anyone in any adjacent rooms living with you. If neither, I wouldn't change anything.

If you're concerned about over-penetration there are various frangible handgun rounds on the market or you could go with a slow, heavy round like a .44spl JHP that makes big holes but tends not to over penetrate much.

Last edited by Wood & Steel; 06-01-2020 at 12:58 AM.