Thread: marking brass
View Single Post

Old 06-01-2020, 01:21 PM

Liked 9,070 Times in 4,199 Posts

I've done the marking, etc. Being a slow learner, it's taken me many years to realize that with handgun brass, it's much easier just to use all the same brand brass (maybe even the same lot if bought in bulk). I buy plastic ammo boxes and put detailed information regarding the load on the outside of the box.

I've found one load per cartridge works very well (regardless of the number of guns that load is fired in). One exception has been a .38 Special wadcutter load for my Model 52 S&W as it won't chamber anything but the wadcutter load with the bullet seated no higher than the overall length of the brass.

I still experiment with different loads on occasion in several handgun cartridges, but usually go back to whatever load I had been shooting. Brass is more expensive than ever, but still cheap when one considers how many times a case can be loaded. Once-fired brass, all with the same headstamp, is an even better deal, particularly when you buy 500 or 1,000 pieces.

Range pickup brass is fine, but it will never work better or shoot more accurately than brass that is all the same and has been fired the same number of times. Brass case walls vary in thickness; you can feel this when you seat a bullet. "Tight" brass may size your cast bullet down smaller than you want.

It's a convenience not having to separate brass.

Last edited by rockquarry; 06-01-2020 at 09:54 PM.