View Single Post

Old 06-06-2020, 12:51 PM

Liked 237 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_the_welder View Post
I only use moonclips with my 327/627's. There is no point for me to not use them.
I like Ranch products (.025") with Winchester brass or Starline. Although I have loaded Fiocchi or American before too, range brass.
On the 357's, the trick is to find the right nose bullet and crimp, that would work on an 8 round clip. On my reloaded ammo, I use Xtreme 158gr RNFP with success and make sure that the crimp prevents any hangups you may have when inserting the clips.
On 38 specials most ammo works. Sometimes they may be a little tight - again. One must know the right bullets to use with the clips. It's kinda trial and error.
For 38 short colts is where the clips do shine! The moonclipped drops are effortless and non existent binding make it a favourite at the range for practice or competition.

I take a box of 200 38 short Colts and 100 or so 357 magnums loaded with Winchester 231 powder ; at a time during my range sessions...
Thanks Lou. I currently shoot Fiocchi .38 Special 130 grain for my range ammo and I've had issues with the 3 moon clips provided by Smith and Wesson with my 327. They are extremely hard to load and when loaded will not drop into the cylinder. I ordered additional ones from Speed Beez and they work much better. I also ordered and received a moon clip loader from TK Custom which works well. I did notice on the TK Custom website that there are a set of moon clips designed for both Fiocchi and Hornady brass which I will most likely order.

Last edited by cremaley; 06-06-2020 at 09:10 PM.