View Single Post

Old 06-09-2020, 12:23 PM

Liked 237 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlegvzv View Post
I am surprised to hear that your 327PC without modification comes in at 8 lbs and change. My 627PC was around 12 lbs, as is my 686 Pro. Stock Smith revolvers in my experience have smooth triggers, especially if shot a lot, (dry firing helps, yes) but that pull will always be a brutal 11-12 lbs without modification. For me, at least, that is too much for optimum double action shooting. I have never run across a Smith that was under 11 pounds out of the factory and I have never had any amount of dry firing/live firing reduce the pull any.
I had my trusted gunsmith modify my 627PC such that it now is just shy of 8 lbs and has a great trigger. It has an extended firing pin and is 100% reliable with all brands of ammo that I have been able to get my hands on to test, including CCI. But this required a trigger job to achieve. I am planning to rotate my 686 SSR Pro and my new 686+ 3" through this process very shortly.
I was very surprised at the trigger weight on my 327 that's why I had the LGS staff member test it a second time. I've been shooting for over 40 years and have a pretty good feel for trigger weight and my 327 doesn't feel anywhere near 11-12 pounds. So unless there is an issue with the reliability of the Lymans scale we used, I have to assume that the numbers we got are correct. I do have my own Lymans on order and will check it again once I receive it to verify the findings. I was planning to have my gunsmith do a trigger job but if the Lymans I am getting shows the same results, I won't bother. I'll let you know the results.

Last edited by cremaley; 06-09-2020 at 12:29 PM.