View Single Post

Old 06-10-2020, 05:13 PM

Liked 4,581 Times in 1,681 Posts
Default Next step completed

Ok,
Well, I collect the Ideal field loaders but I admit I don't use them much. I prefer the modern stuff. Mainly because they kinda get hot but once you get the hang of it they are pretty fast.

I molded 54 bullets. Weighed each of them and they cast pretty darn close. 84-86 grains. I put aside the 84 & 85 grain bullets for the test shoot. I also measured the bullets cast and they came out to a steady .324. I'm not sure yet if I will size them down. I kind of like the larger diameter bullet for this test since I'm using black powder, "IF" it will chamber? Besides, loading it into the case will down size it to probably about .322 so I'm thinking right now to just load them as cast for the test.

The only real problem I had was the used 32/20 cases did not want to chamber in my 32-44 Target cylinder. Since I don't have a sizing die and since the Ideal loader doesn't size the case( I didn't know that)....I was forced to polish the cases until they fit. So, I strongly recommend if you have a target 32-44 and want to use the 32/20 cases? Buy new ones!

You can see from the photo's that once polished they chambered perfectly and the length I cut them to (.980) is also perfect and ran right to the edge of the case stops. So I'm happy with the outcome so far.

You can also see the bullet that I ran through the bore has "Perfect" contact with both lands and grooves. So I expect pretty accurate pattern shooting at the range.

So, next I will weigh the black powder and see how difficult it will be to load 11 grains of FFFG in this case. I honestly don't expect it to be an issue since the 32 S&W is listed at 9 grains? We shall see.

Murph

Last edited by BMur; 06-10-2020 at 05:15 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: