View Single Post

Old 06-11-2020, 12:00 AM

Liked 29,501 Times in 14,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasote View Post
What is your method for checking for head separation? Do you just eyeball them for the "ring" around the case head by the primer or do you use a tool like the rather expensive RCBS case master gauging tool which says it "can detect impending case head separation before obvious lines appear on the outside of the case". When I resize, I sometimes get a ring around the case head. How can I tell this from impending case head separation? Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks. Ray
After the first firing, I normally neck size only as the case has been "Fire Formed" to the fit the chamber precisely. Head separation is generally the consequence of excessive headspace, and a neck-sized case eliminates any excessive headspace. Of course, you must always use such brass in only that single gun. I once had a rifle that had very excessive headspace, and often the "ring" showing incipient head separation appeared after the first or second reload. I always had to remember to neck size all cases used in that rifle before doing the first reload. But I never had a case head separation even after multiple reloads.