View Single Post

Old 06-11-2020, 11:36 AM

Liked 2,173 Times in 836 Posts

I too am curious about the possible S&W rework markings. I have always heard that S&W would not do rework on Victory models, but I kinda took that as an absolute with regards to Victory models in civilian ownership.

Surely S&W wouldn't turn down refurbishment rework on a large enough batch from the Government/Navy...…...especially if Navy fliers still used them extensively post-WWII? (I still think that there would have been gobs of them still floating around in Navy supply/armory inventories so that actually having to have S&W repair/refurbish any of them would be a bit unusual and/or unnecessary.)

It does bring up a very interesting topic with regards to possible factory rework/refurbishment government contract(s) pertaining to the Victory model. You would think if it was truly a large need it would have been performed at an arsenal or armory level similar to what happened with the M1917 revolvers...…..but I've never really heard of either large scale factory refurbishment or arsenal refurbishment for Victory models for the govt/military.

Could it simply be it was easier for the smaller unit level to simply send Victory revolvers back to S&W as the need arose, versus trying to get a repair/replacement internally within the Navy supply chain? (Assuming S&W would even work on them?) It all seems a bit unusual to me, but heck I'm always surprised when it comes to "never say never".

Definitely much food for thought and actual data supporting either would be greatly appreciated!

Dale

Last edited by tenntex32; 06-11-2020 at 11:44 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: