View Single Post

Old 06-12-2020, 09:01 PM

Liked 2,173 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
I purchased what was supposed to be an S&W Victory .38 Special with the serial number (per the paperwork) of V931991. That does not seem to be possible from what I am reading here and reading in the Bible.

I don't have possession yet and won't for another week or two, but can anyone help with this mystery?

Methinks something is screwy here.
Most likely it is a pre-Victory with Victory style finish and plain uncheckered stocks if the serial number you have provided is correct. (Then most likely it won't have a "V" in the serial number.)

Here is my pre-Victory example with red letter U.S. Navy markings...………(As you can see there is no "V" with the actual serial number of 985033.)

From a collectability standpoint they made far fewer pre-Victory wartime finish examples than actual V-prefixed Victory examples, although I doubt many collectors would affix much of a premium, if any, due to such. If it has any U.S. NAVY markings it usually would command a bit more.

I like them and generally clump them in with the actual V-prefixed Victory revolvers that came about after pre-Victory s/n 999,999 as they have the similar wartime finish and plain uncheckered stocks.

Can you provide a link with pics for the example you are purchasing?

Dale

Last edited by tenntex32; 06-12-2020 at 10:01 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: