Thread: 640-1 Question
View Single Post

Old 06-15-2020, 11:57 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 22,684 Times in 5,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrefrig View Post
An earlier post by Oaktree45 was about how painful it was to shoot .357 Magnums out of this J frame revolver. The guns are pretty lightweight and apparently easily conceal-carry all day type guns. At what distance, realistically, are these guns accurate for an average shooter? It's an obvious self-defense gun, which I would consider 10 yards tops? I understand the .357 Mag will make the attacker stop pretty quick in his tracks. I believe a .38 Spl. +P would pretty much do the same at that close. You need to practice with your CCW once in a while. In a real attack, you're not going to feel the pain of shooting a .357 until maybe tomorrow. Is a .38 Spl really that much less likely to stop the attacker at self-defense distances? I know that some drugs make bad guys "bulletproof", but, I don't know the answer to how much is too much power, etc.?
You will get answers both ways on this. But here is my opinon

More power is always better than less power. I can tell that that I have never interviewed an Officer fresh out of a firefight that said he/she would have felt just as good with a slightly less powerful cartridge.

First off, grips that properly fit your hand are extremely important when it comes to how recoil is transferred from the firearm to you. What the factory supplies on the firearm is not your only choice

Secondly, 357 Magnum is not for everyone, and that is OK. You should carry the most powerful cartridge you can handle. It is a wise person that knows where their limitations are and keeps within them.

So forget about what I carry and what the other Forum members carry and concentrate on what YOU are comfortable with

A 640 loaded with 38 Special that you carry everyday is a much better choice than a 640 loaded with 357 Magnum that you don't want to carry because of the recoil