Thread: hard drive
View Single Post

Old 06-16-2020, 01:35 PM

Liked 16,592 Times in 4,222 Posts

SSD's are quite a bit faster than standard hard drives. Most definitely get one with a SSD in it.

ETA:

Mom has a Lenovo desktop that has been bogging down a lot lately with lots of HDD activity when it does. I picked up a $50 500GB SSD off Ebay and cloned everything over to it with our Acronis TrueImage software. Swapped drives and everything booted up fine. No more bogging down and excess HDD activity.

One thing I noticed when I was inside the computer doing the work was how cheap everything in it was. The 1TB HDD that came with the box originally is older larger form instead of the common 3.5 laptop size HDD that are prevalent these days. There are 2 SATA connectors, one for the HDD and one for the DVDROM. No possibility of adding another internal HDD, you have to connect through one of the external USB ports. There is no power supply in this computer. It is built into the motherboard. Cheapest flimsiest DVDROM I have ever seen. Although, at least it has one. This was not a budget box either. I think we paid about $800 for it a couple years back. Pretty sad from one of the bigger names in computers these days.

I have had much better luck with Acer brand laptops and desktops compared to any others. I have a darn nice Acer 17inch screen laptop that is 7 or 8 years old that still works better than most modern laptops. I updated it to the highest speed CPU, max memory and a SSD hard drive last year for $100.

Last edited by JohnRippert; 06-18-2020 at 11:57 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: