View Single Post

Old 06-21-2020, 03:30 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,212 Times in 4,579 Posts

I read the posts. I understand many things but I am afraid the term "jam" is just too broad. But I'll go along with it just because I like the folks around this campfire.

Quote:
About post #1: Copyright on the material posted belongs to whoever published it, NOT the author.
That is technically incorrect. If you create a written "piece" the copyright attaches to it immediately and it is yours. If your written item is published by someone other than yourself then either the publisher has its own copyright or you, the author, can transfer your rights to the publisher. See what Mas says:

Quote:
The publisher, Harris Publications, went out of business a few years ago. I don't know who if anyone owns the rights to older articles there. During that period I only sold "first North American serial rights," which allowed me to retain the right to reprint.
Exactly. Mas transferred XYZ rights to the publisher but retained ABC rights. If the publisher is out of business, and if nobody bought their assets, then Mas would be the sole owner of the copyright again.

Quote:
Fine with me. As to Harris, we often got requests to copy articles for training purposes, and the policy was to grant permission so long as nothing in the articles was changed or deleted, and credit was given to both publication and author. Distributing it as you did would have been fine. I would personally consider that policy still in effect.
Again, Mas is correct, except that legally he's probably the sole owner of the copyright at this point in time.

Specifically for this campfire - -
Quote:
and credit was given to both publication and author.
That's more or less the policy of the S&W Forum except I doubt that the moderators are going to insist on double credits unless it's spectacularly obvious.