Thread: 357 Mags in Nam
View Single Post

Old 06-23-2020, 05:26 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,245 Times in 830 Posts

This is an old thread but not one I have noticed in the past.

I was with a Combat Engineers Jungle Clearing company size unit in Nam. We uncovered untold numbers of tunnels and tunnel complexes in our operations with D-7 doziers with mostly rome plow kits and some with bull blades.

Back in those days, over 50 years ago, I did not have the love I do now with firearms. Then, they were simply a crucial piece of equipment to support us getting the job done.

I do know we would frequently hit upon huge caches of weapons, ammo, food and etc. I think in the uncovered weapons, there was just about every type of firearms known to man. My memory fails me as to whether there were any .357 Magnums, but I am confident there had to of been.

The VC and NVA must of gotten a lot of the weapons from the forces they engaged along with what was supplied by North Vietnam.

Our unit worked with supported the 4th Infantry Division, MACV, and the 173rd (twice) during my tour. Attached is a short video from the 173rd showing our unit in support of the 173rd who provided our primary security. You will see the doziers in the video.

The Infantry loved us but hated supporting us since we stayed and lived in the boonies. The Infantry was used to going out for a few days and then back to the rear for days prior their next visit to the jungle. Living with us was a hardcore pain for them.
The Following User Likes This Post: