Thread: 357 Mags in Nam
View Single Post

Old 06-23-2020, 11:06 PM
US Veteran

Liked 22,017 Times in 6,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
In, "Flight of the Intruder", author Stephen Coonts, a former Naval aviator (A-6 pilot) armed his main character with a Combat Magnum. Jake Grafton had that gun in several books. The other guy who was shot down with him had a .45 auto.

I think this reflected what the writer saw on his carrier, and used himself. You can probably ask him, via his site.

While in the USAF, I saw several Naval aviators in our dining hall, as they flew through our base. They had what looked to be Victory models or M-10's. All had shoulder holsters.

I know that some units had S&W 9 mm autos, the M-39.

Officers could often buy what they wanted, as could some Special Forces types. I'd be amazed if some didn't wear .357's. An officer in my unit owned a K-38, which he wore on patrol in lieu of the issued Combat Masterpiece. He thought he shot the longer barrelled gun better.

I put two tours in SEA in Marine Intruder Squadrons. Our aircrews were issued .38 Special S&W M10's with a 4" barrel that they carried in shoulder holsters. However, not all used their issue pieces. Some carried .357's and some opted for M1911's.