View Single Post

Old 06-25-2020, 08:51 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
As I said before, the service dept. S is indeed the only legitimate candidate for a letter at that location, but if you guys can "see" a double-struck S comparing it to the standard singleton, you've already had more whiskey than I've had this fine afternoon

The S stamp on any parts, however many, indicates the gun did not pass final inspection and was returned for a detour through the service dept. before shipping, for attention to those parts. So it does not indicate any later return. A lot of Victorys have various S's on different parts, a result of the fast expansion of the workforce in 1942 with inexperienced newbies.

Victory data base-cylinder-jpg
I've posted a photo with one of the S's highlighted in red and making the other S, underneath the red one I believe, apparent. Once you look at that look again at the original, non-highlighted photo and I believe I can see the top curve of the upper S, closest to the chamber, very lightly struck. After looking at the crane and yoke in better light I believe what I thought was a C is in fact a poorly struck S (you can just see the beginning of a second curve) on the one that is far away from the assembly number (crane?). On the other, which is partially overstamped by the matching assembly number (yoke?) is not really identifiable other than there is one curve and it looks like a deliberate stamp. The only other S is at the bottom of the frame under the right grip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedIMG_7459a_LI.jpg (56.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7752.jpg (111.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7753.jpg (67.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7453.jpg (87.8 KB, 14 views)
The Following User Likes This Post: