View Single Post

Old 06-30-2020, 11:22 AM

Liked 4,615 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default Replacement cylinder?

Replacement parts are pretty scarce for the older Smith & Wesson "Large Caliber" revolvers. I've seen plenty of 44 cal double action parts that go for a lot and are stripped as well. When and if found? 44cal single action parts don't go cheap that's for sure. $100 would be a gift for a 44 Russian stripped cylinder lacking all hardware.
You would also need the complete ejector since this one is now modified and would NOT function on a 44 Russian cylinder due to the head diameter being much larger on the WCF 44. Basically it would skip by the smaller Russian case head and would not eject the shells. A complete cylinder? with all the hardware? Might cost more than you paid for this gun. If you can find one?

I am sorry to be the bringer of tough news but there is also a problem with various 44 Russian models. Parts often do not swap. Smith & Wesson always boasted that the parts are machined with very tight tolerances? Which is true. However, when new models are introduced? Trying to mount the old model cylinder, trigger guard or barrel on the new model frame? good luck! At the very least you would have to machine the parts. I've done it and it ain't fun! Because the parts are so hard to find I've had to make parts fit just to get the gun functioning.

So, even if you are "extremely" lucky enough to find a Single action 44 Russian cylinder? It would also have to come off of the exact same model that you have.

Notice also that your older Russian model SA has the older rack type ejector? Where exactly are you going to find that? So just finding any 44 Russian cylinder from any of 4 or more Russian SA models? will not work on your older Russian model.

Murph

Last edited by BMur; 06-30-2020 at 11:38 AM.