View Single Post

Old 07-02-2020, 05:18 PM

Liked 2,131 Times in 591 Posts

Hittman77,

A NYS thing. A NYS permit is not a permit to have pistols in general, it is a permit to have very specific handguns, right down to the serial number. In other words, let's say I have a 6 inch K38. That specific gun is listed on my permit. If I were pulled over and had an IDENTICAL six inch K38, but with a different serial number, I'm in big trouble.

Every pistol I have is listed on my permit by make, model, caliber, revolver or auto, and serial number. Every time you buy or sell a pistol, you have to file an "amendment" with the County Clerk's office (NY permits are issued by county) and the judge that originally signed your permit signs the amendment. So when you buy a gun,you make the deal, the gun stays at the shop, you take all the pertinent information and a sales receipt and go file the amendment. Once the amendment gets approved, you get a letter telling you, you go back to the county clerk's office and you receive a little piece of paper called a purchase coupon, and you then take that back to the store and you get your gun. So in NY there is a built in waiting period of how long it takes this whole process to go through.

The real problem is that the counties are very inconsistent. In more liberal (in the sense I mean gun friendly) counties like mine thank God, it can be as quick as two or three days, its never been more than a week for me. And when it takes a week I know its not anti gun BS its just that they are that busy. I hear horror stories about other counties taking 4 or 5 weeks for amendments to go through, primarily because they don't like guns there.

Excelsior!

Last edited by Patrick L; 07-02-2020 at 05:22 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: