Thread: TulAmmo
View Single Post

Old 07-08-2020, 10:30 AM

Liked 6,342 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Not saying you are wrong, as I haven't shot ANY steel out of a handgun, but I've fired tens of thousands of steel case out of carbines. And in those Silver Bear is like Match ammo, really consistent and clean, good velocity and 100% reliable.

Tula and Wolf have been the bottom of the barrel as far as Russian ammo in several carbines I've tested it in.
Noticeably dirtier, worst accuracy, a good 200 fps. lower velocity, and a lot less reliable, due to deeper set primers.
For each 100 rounds fired of Tula, 15 to 20 don't go off.
For every 100 rounds of Red Army Standard, 1 or 2 won't go off.
For every 100 rounds of Silver Bear, they all go off.
Typical group with Silver Bear. I'd be lucky to get a 3 or 4 inch group with Tula, and be lucky to get 10 in a row to ignite.
For this good of accuracy in ammo that costs $7 a box, it has to be consistent in powder charge and lack of bullet deformities.

I've fired, checked for accuracy and chronographed the loads of a dozen different Berdan primed steel case Russian loads out of 3 different Mini-30s and 2 different 7.62 x 39 ARs.
In those, Tula is not worth buying. Silver Bear shoots so well I have 3 cases stashed.

So I an surprised to hear someone say that they like Tula/Wolf but don't like Silver Bear. Just what significant issues did you have with Silver Bear ?

I have around 1600 round of 9mm and 1200 rounds of .45 ACP stashed (brass cased) but would not be above using some steel case in my M&Ps.
I'd like to hear specifics of those of you who shoot steel case in handguns as to what you use, and what, if any issues you've had.

Just saying "I've used tons of steel case with no issues" doesn't give us any details as far as choosing ammo or what ammo have been good, and what ammo has been not so good.
I have had the biggest problem with the Silver Bear 9mm being out of spec on overall diameter. In multiple guns the rounds are so over sized that they won't fully chamber and the round is so fully wedged that it requires forcing the slide open on the edge of the bench to clear the round. I have also experienced the same issue with several boxes of 45 ACP, although not to the same extent as with the 9mm.
Also had a batch of 308 that the extractor groove wasn't cut to spec and was too small to allow extractors to fully engage, resulting in extractors not seating fully and then not allowing the bolts to go fully forward into battery. That batch was several years ago when I was heavy into building & testing FN FALs.
I'm sure everyone has had different experiences with different ammos that turns them off on one brand or another. I have fired thousands of rounds of Wolf and Tula (rifle and pistol) with very few issues. YMMV

Last edited by mckenney99; 07-08-2020 at 10:33 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: