View Single Post

Old 07-08-2020, 12:21 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,714 Times in 1,411 Posts
Default Value question on pre-war kit gun

I handled an intriguing pre-war kit gun today. A blue 4" 22/32, I frame in 95%+ condition, no box or accessories. I thought maybe just maybe if less than $2,000, as SCSW 4th puts them right around $2700 to $3,000. Sq. butt targets with diamond, tell thick front sight, adjustable rear. No provenance linked to anything.

WOW! Sticker shock to say the least. Turned the tag over and saw $5,999! I almost ran, but curiosity got the best of me. I had to ask, did someone famous own this gun or what do you know that I don't? (I'm sure that could have elicited numerous responses, but he was very polite).

Anyway, the answer was "it's priced that way because of the serial number". The serial number is 532XXX. I was told that Blue Book (latest edition...they showed me) has a note "Pre-war kit guns in ser.no. range approx. 525670 to 536684 will bring a 400%-500% premium over above values, if in 95%+ condition. Mfg. 1935-1941".

Sure enough...I got home checked an old (38th) edition Blue Book and found exactly the same note, still in bold print. Maybe original Bekearts can approach this range, mostly big auction houses or with provenance, but $6000 for a 22 revolver?

Even SCSW 4th doesn't mention any premium, just shows $3,000 for Excellent.

So let me rephrase my question and pose it you folks that are much more knowledgeable than me: What does S.P. Fjestad know that I don't?

Anybody have any insight to this particular serial number range for kit guns?
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570