View Single Post

Old 07-08-2020, 06:23 PM

Liked 3,197 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
Most of the 38's I recently loaded have been fine. However, today I had a squib for the first time in many years. It was a swc and the nose just barely poked out of a 4 inch barrel. I don't think there was any powder in it, as it went pfft when fired. I knew instantly what it was and immediately unloaded and took a look. We tried to pull it out, but couldn't get a good enough grip. It was driven back and out. When cleaning the gun, I did notice some odd colored powder flakes in the cylinder. Maybe there was just a small amount of powder in the case.
I've had one squib in over 30 years of loading but had a very odd thing happen a few weeks ago. I was working on new loads doing some chrono work for a new Henry 357 rifle and had what I thought was a squib. The chromo though indicated the bullet left the barrel and crossed the chrono at 86 ft/sec. I'm loading my 38/357's for now on a Rock Chucker and look in every case and weigh about every 4 th or 5th. The only thing I can conclude is my RCBS powder measure threw a light load and I simply didn't see there wasn't enough powder in the case.