View Single Post

Old 07-09-2020, 01:27 AM

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgeargrndrr View Post
Why are you picking one up? Hiking/fishing or Range time?
It is a great plinker/ kit gun and less range toy. I have a hard time holding it steady with the stock Hammer spring compared to the 63. But we are talking about an inch difference at 25 yds.
If you need more range comfort and still want to pack it, then I would suggest checking out the 63 first. Probably a bit better at the range but still fills the role of hiking gun. And its a hit with the kids and wife to boot.
try different sorts of ammo.
Everything said by you and others in the posts above about ammo is of course true. Each of the 40 or so .22 caliber guns I have owned in the past 60 years was a law unto itself in the accuracy department--a little less so in the case of a few expensive match pistols and rifles not relevant here.

To answer your question, I want a 317 3 inch again, even with a V rear sight, because of (1) fond memories of adventures with my adequately accurate early one, (2) its unbeatable ease of carry for its class, (3) the ammo versatility factor of adj. sights, (4) its looks and (5) it's a S&W.

Range time with a non-target revolver is unimportant, except for a belly gun for those who need one, but I believe that no plinker is worth having if it's not marginally accurate; at least close to a 63 or Ruger LCR.

Hopefully, the bad reviews are not indicative of the current 317's inherent potential.