View Single Post

Old 07-11-2020, 12:27 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,368 Times in 684 Posts

Nice looking 27. The serial number should be preceded by the letter S, which is part of the serial number. It should be stamped on the bottom of the grip frame and in the yoke cut above the "MOD 27-2" stamp. The time frame would be in the 1961 area, as that is when the -2 was released. If there is a screw in front of the trigger guard, it would be a 4-screw model. There are 3 screws in the sideplate, one of them under the right stock panel.

The "S" stock you refer to is, I assume, what is marked on the end label of the box. That means it shipped with Standard (Magna) stocks. At any rate the stocks on the gun are not original, as those were not placed in production until 1968. Correct target stocks would look like the ones on it except they would have an uncheckered diamond around the escutcheon.

The 3 1/2" barrel is the most desirable of all the barrel lengths for the 27, and commands higher prices. Based on the very few pictures, it appears to be in very good condition and is a complete package, which helps with the value. I could be wrong, and I hope others will chime in, but I would think you would have no problem selling it in the $1500 range.

Hope this helps and good luck.