View Single Post

Old 07-12-2020, 05:53 PM

Liked 9,314 Times in 3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContinentalOp View Post
The problem with stating that misses are more of a problem than overpenetration is that it comes across as saying, "Yeah, just hit what you're aiming at and you can use whatever round you want," or, even worse, "Why bother with JHP if you're gonna end up missing anyway?"
I cut the rest of the response, because I wanted to address this portion. I was not thinking of persons using poor/imprecise logic to make the decision, but your concern is valid. In .380 or smaller, ball is probably the least bad choice, and that has to be a consideration. In a service caliber, no. I own a bunch of ball in 9mm and 45ACP, mostly for practice. I will use it in a pinch, but it is far from a first choice. The most likely use for 9mm ball is my 9mm AR, which is to some extent a range toy, but set up like my work AR. (My Marlin .357 project is a far more useful rifle for most purposes, especially to take when traveling.)

PERSONALLY, I would not bother with a JHP in .38, as it is way more expensive than a good SWC, which most of the time is going to work as well. I can shoot my standard velocity .38 SWC better than any other load in my M66, so that is my preference. I can (and have) qualified with hotter loads, but the performance difference is clear. That is likely true for most people. With this, or the 9mm/45 ball, I can hand a gun to someone else and they have a better chance of contributing positively to solving the problem.

FBI and handguns: in the 80s, when the "Miami" shootout occurred, there were very few people who grasped and trained that pistols are secondary weapons, carried for convenience, not performance. The training was JUST starting to change in my academy days (1989) and did not come to full momentum until after the LA bank robbery shootout along with the lessons of GWOT.

The barrier tests I would consider as most valid for private citizen use most of the time are car glass (for reasons already suggested), and far more important - the 4 layer denim test. If you pay no attention to any other component of the testing, that one should get your attention as it is designed to replicate the possible impact of clothing plugging a HP bullet. In the deep South in August, not likely an issue. Along or north of most of I90 from Seattle to Boston, a consideration for at least 6 months a year, maybe more, especially when it cools off at night.