View Single Post

Old 07-12-2020, 09:26 PM

Liked 7,407 Times in 2,516 Posts

Okay, I acknowledge that handguns have their share of shortcomings and are not ideal combat weaponry, but of all of said shortcomings, limited penetration really isn't one of them, not within reason anyway.

I mean, literally every duty cartridge currently in use will punch strae through the human body and keep on going like it hit nothing at all with an FMJ, and even JHPs tend to come right to the edge of piercing through the human body, so that's not what I would consider "feeble penetration" by any stretch of the imagination.

Heck, the whole point of this thread is to discuss whether certain handgun ammunition's ability to punch through improvized cover with enough energy to still penetrate deep enough to land a critical hit is an asset or a liability because so many modern bullet designs are readily capable of doing so. Jacketed Hallowpoint Handgun Bullets in general penetrate just about as deeply as they need to without becoming a liability, at least as far as duty cartridges go, so the question is if the little extra oomph that certain cartridges or ammo designed to penetrate barriers more readily is a good thing or a bad thing.