View Single Post

Old 07-16-2020, 02:42 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,555 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigp220.45 View Post
When I came into the FBI in 1991 it was the practice for retiring agents to purchase their service revolvers for a nominal sum - I think a Model 10 was valued at about $120. Around 1993 the Clinton administration refused to continue the exemption that allowed government property to be sold to a retiring employee - they didn't want to "put more guns on the street". The wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst the old guys was legendary, and its effect on me was immediate - I turned in my issued Sig 226 and haven't had a Bureau issued handgun ever since. I was already carrying my trusty Sig .45, and I had a pre-war non-registered magnum and a Model 36 on my approved POW (personally owned weapon) list.

The big Smith was retired when we were cut back to two POWs, and the little Smith was replaced with a Glock 27 when revolvers were nixed altogether. No Sigs are authorized anymore, but my faithful 220 is grandfathered in. With any luck, we'll retire together in a couple of years.
So did you retire? I have five years to go and I will not look back when I walk out that door. I'd go now, but I'm not financially able to do so.