Thread: Old Army
View Single Post

Old 07-18-2020, 03:09 PM

Liked 6,949 Times in 2,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaher94087 View Post
Please excuse the thread drift. I'm a relative novice at locks but here's my take: Skeleton keys are a misnomer. It implies that there is a universal key for these locks. This style lock is known as a tubular lock and there are various sizes of tubular keys for each size lock. The hole in the key must be sized to the "pin" visible in the case lock. The 'flag' or flat paddle that goes in the key slot is a specific size to the lock (L & W) and will usually have "teeth" (the Bit?) cut into it that are specific to that lock. Lessor quality locks have just a flat flag and any flat flag key will work. A quick look at BMur's selection above will give one an idea of the bit mentioned.
Nice drift but does pertain to the discussion, my wife's grandmother's house had locks for every cotton picking door, they were all different...according to my wife there was one key that fit them all. We ended up with a zip lock baggie full of keys, although the house has long left the family. The term "skeleton key" is universally used with this particular type of key due to the fact that they are about as basic as a key can possibly be, therefore reduced to "skeleton" in definition.
The Following User Likes This Post: