Thread: The Officer!
View Single Post

Old 07-19-2020, 05:21 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandyrandy View Post
The officer size guns usually have approximately a 3.5" bull barrel with no front bushing and a smaller "officer" size frame accepting 6 to 7 round shorter 1911 mags.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that when the Colt Officer Model 1911s came out, they did have bushings. I know I've seen aftermarket match grade bushings for Officers.

I really like the CCO, but from what I've seen, it seems Officer Model 1911s can be finicky to keep reliable. The problem seems to stem from the short slide moving at higher velocity than the longer Commander and Govt Model slides. The longer, slower-moving slides give a longer time window in which to extract/eject the spent casing and feed the next round. It's more difficult to balance this timing with the Officer Model. I've seen recommendations to change the recoil spring every 500 rounds as a result, or use of heavy recoil springs or dual recoil spring systems.

While they can be run reliably, I've often seen instructors and gunsmiths familiar with 1911s say that for best reliability, stick with the Govt Model or Commander slide lengths. And I'm sure there'll be plenty of people posting that their Officer Model guns run reliably. Who knows? Maybe the more modern iterations are more reliable out of the box. Even taking reliability out of consideration, I just don't see enough of a size advantage with the Officer Model to choose that over a CCO.
The Following User Likes This Post: