Thread: Michigan OIS
View Single Post

Old 07-21-2020, 10:32 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 15,563 Times in 3,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell627 View Post
I don’t know about MI.But we no longer train for headshots.All shooting is center of mass.We used to train failure to stop. Two shots center of mass and one to head.They quit doing that training for two reason I was told.One was dumbing down to lowest denominator.And two shooting for the head means you are training to kill not just stop.I don’t agree with that. But nobody cares what I think.I would be proud to work with that officer anytime.
I think that their policy is going to cause some problems down the road. The failure to stop drill helps account for the body armor that we are seeing on 'peaceful protestors' and active shooters. It also deals with individuals who have an altered mental status and may not even know that they were shot.

No agency that I have ever worked with trained their officers 'shoot to kill', rather they train to stop the threat. Sometimes death is a by-product of those actions, but if the officer (or civilian) life is in danger, then they need to stop the threat NOW, and endlessly dumping rounds into center mass with no effect is a waste of ammo.