View Single Post

Old 07-27-2020, 07:30 PM

Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMur View Post
I have used 38 special cases in my 38-44 Target Smith with 18 grains of FFFG (Goex Black powder) and Hollow based 147grain Ideal wadcutters that I cast, size, weigh, lube, and load myself. I prefer the CCI small pistol primers but sometimes I've noticed that Federal primers work better for Black Powder cartridges in smaller calibers for some reason. (See Photo)
The accuracy is amazing at 25 yards. All in the black with a pattern about the size of a baseball. I am of the opinion that this pattern can be tightened to about 2" if using the original load and bullet type with hollow base. I haven't been able to find an original mold but I know they are out there somewhere! There were actually 3 bullet types available in 1887 for the 38-44 Target. I have one of the molds with the heavier bullet( 148 grain RN) having a round nose and 3 lubrication grooves but haven't tested it yet. Rounds are loaded and ready though.

The heavier powder charge with the longer case would produce more velocity and that should translate to a tighter pattern.

I'll see if I can find my target in the pile. I keep range records but that was some years ago. Compression does actually fill the hollow base. I've used this same technique with my 41 Long "Hollow Base" round nose without pressure issues. When you fill the case with the weighed Black powder load it's almost to the top of the case. Compressing the bullet into the case fills that hollow base void. Otherwise you can't get a significant load in the case unless you use old balloon head cases. They are now pretty hard to find.

I have yet to try the longer 357 max or even a 357 mag but I have 357 Mag cases loaded with 23 grains and the original Target round nose heeled bullet. Trying to find a place to shoot that doesn't limit your time? It's not easy here in California now.

Also, My 38-44 Target has the long cylinder so an original case actually does not reach the end of the chamber. There is a slight throat and case stop about 1/16" of an inch from the end so you must also consider if you have a 38-44 target? Which frame you have? The earlier short frame short cylinder? Or the later Long frame, long cylinder. The short frame, short cylinder is easier to load as the original case reaches the end of the chamber.

The Op's 38-44 Target appears to me that it's the later long frame, long cylinder. So there is a slight case stop and throat in this cylinder! It is "NOT" bored straight through like the earlier short frame short cylinder. So you "CAN NOT" run the case to the end of the cylinder beyond the CASE STOP or very dangerous pressures will result no matter what powder you use!

"Extremely important"
Plus the long frame long cylinder is actually the rarest 38-44. Roughly 400 were made. So finding a replacement cylinder for a long frame would be about impossible.

So the Op's gun is very rare! If it's actually a long frame?

*** I just looked it up in Mr. Jinks book and the long frame didn’t show up until the upper 3,000 serial number range. So the OP’s gun is actually a Short Frame, short cylinder and is therefore bored straight through.

Murph

Thanks for your reply. Which Mr. Jinks book are you referring to? I did a quick search and noticed he has authored more than one book on Smith and Wessons. I'm guessing it may be the History of Smith & Wesson.