View Single Post

Old 08-02-2020, 10:07 AM

Liked 5,158 Times in 1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR Moore View Post
While there have been some valid points made above, like still in production, the Sig series has some "issues" particularly if you're used to the 1911.

First, the Sig couples a (to me) short, heavy double action pull with a short, light single action pull. While you can learn to live with it, Jeff Cooper invented the "crunchenticker" moniker for TDAs when Sig was pretty much the only game in town. It fits. A fast, well placed, controlled pair is going to require a significant learning curve. I've never tried one, but I've heard a lot of very good things about Sigs DAO versions of various models. I don't know if this would interest you or it's available on the 220, but it does eliminate the point raised above.

Secondly, for a 1911 user, the slide release is where you're used to finding the safety. I struggled with the above 2 points during our service pistol trials in 1992.

Third, at the 25 yard barricade, the 220 literally beat me (my hands) bloody.

Strictly from an esthetics standpoint, the breech block pinned in a sheet metal slide by a roll pin really isn't a good fit with the price point. IMO

If you look around, you might find some other option that you might like better.
I am a huge fan of the P220, but the trigger on even a cheap 1911 is preferable. SA guns are often better in the trigger department. Personally, I prefer DA/SA semi-auto pistols, and I've learned to be fairly proficient with the Sig through using it. The SRT on my newer one is an improvement. My old West German P220 has the stamped slide and pinned breech block. The gun has been totally reliable, and solid as a rock. As far as aesthetics go, I'm not sure why that would even be an issue. Shoot what you like and like what you shoot.