Thread: Model 41 Ammo
View Single Post

Old 08-07-2020, 06:38 AM

Liked 1,377 Times in 658 Posts

That's the ammo I use in my 41. I would rather use CCI standard velocity but my particular gun has a about a 3% failure rate with it. The MiniMags work great.

I did put a buffer in mine for peace of mind but unless you are a competitive bullseye shooter going through many thousands of rounds a year it probably isn't necessary. The one I bought is no longer made. It is just a piece of plastic that sits in the frame and stops the slide a tiny bit before it would hit the trigger guard which normally stops it. The very rare instances of a M41 breaking often involve the trigger guard. I have never seen that, just heard about it on this forum. And it was someone that shot a 5 digit number of rounds through their gun every year.

The most common failure I had with CCI std was it would eject the empty but not go quite far back enough to pick up the next round. So I ended up dry firing the pistol. While there is disagreement about whether a sustained diet of high velocity ammo will hurt a 41 pretty much everyone agrees accidentally dry firing it on a regular basis will cause damage.

Even if I couldn't find the buffer I would still shoot MiniMags. S&W would probably fix the gun under warranty in the unlikely event it broke and that risk is much better than the frustration of dealing with an unreliable gun/ammo combination.

As soon as you can find them try buying at least 500 rounds of CCI standard velocity and try it. Its great ammo in general. Tends to be very accurate in most guns and is reasonably priced. Even if you have same problems I do with it in your 41 you have other 22s that will probably love it.

Last edited by Dave Lively; 08-07-2020 at 06:54 AM.