View Single Post

Old 08-07-2020, 08:45 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich5674 View Post
I think it was the British that came up with a 200 grain load for the S&W 38 that tumbled on impact. That was also the original idea of the 55 grain 5.56 bullet from the M16A1
I use double ended 148 grain wadcutters in my snub noses. I haven’t seen signs of tumbling.
Just my opinion, but at rifle velocities, yeah, tumbling can be a good way to maximize tissue disruption. At pistol velocities, not so much. The advantage of the 148gr WC is that it can cut a full-caliber wound channel thanks to its flat meplate, and still give adequate penetration while mitigating the risk of overpenetration. I think tumbling in that case would reduce effectiveness. I don't have any knowledge of the 200gr load you mentioned. Maybe it worked, maybe not. I don't know. I'm just going off what I know based on the research I've done into terminal ballistics.

As for tumbling, I think it definitely depends on the ammo/gun combo. In my case, S&B tumbled, but in another gun it might be fine. Fiocchi was fine in my gun, but maybe in someone else's it won't be. Just one of those things you have to check for in your particular ammo/gun combo.

Again, just my opinion.
The Following User Likes This Post: